New SBCL versions are usually released at the end of each
month: check the Sourceforge File List to see the current version. The new features of the two most recent SBCL releases are listed below.
Please see the complete news page for details on all historical SBCL releases.
New in version 1.3.18Back to top
- minor incompatible change: existing values of CFLAGS, ASFLAGS,
CPPFLAGS, and LINKFLAGS will be incorporated into C compiler
invocations when building from source.
- minor incompatible change: the result of WRITE-TO-STRING may be
a BASE-STRING if all characters written are of type BASE-CHAR.
- minor incompatible change: the broadcast stream with no output
streams is a singleton object. That object satisfies OPEN-STREAM-P
regardless of how many times CLOSE is invoked on it.
- enhancement: x86[-64] backends contain an experimental feature
which aids in demonstrating reachability of any object starting
from a tenured object or a thread stack by producing a proof
as a sequence of pointers to follow.
The file "tests/traceroot.test.sh" contains an example usage.
- enhancement: if the alien symbol "gc_coalesce_string_literals" is
set to 1 prior to SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE, then similar string constants
loaded from different fasl files may be collapsed to one object.
If the variable is set to 2, then additionally strings which are
STRING= in code resulting from COMPILE can be coalesced.
For instance, two functions returning the literal string "HI"
might return EQ strings after collapsing, which may be undesired
in a particular use. The flag pertains to gencgc only.
- enhancement: SXHASH values on pathnames are better distributed
- bug fix: MAKE-PATHNAME removes empty strings as components of a
directory, as is permitted: "Whenever a pathname is constructed
the components may be canonicalized if appropriate."
- optimization: various printer and FORMAT performance enhancements.
- bug fix: GET-FOREGROUND no longer fails in case all other interactive
threads exit (#1682671, reported by Syll)
- bug fix: RELEASE-FOREGROUND always removes the current thread from the
list of interactive threads. (#1682867, reported by Syll)
Older SBCL releases
New in version 1.3.17Back to top
- enhancement: memory overhead from the garbage collector's metadata
is reduced on 64-bit architectures; no change for 32-bit.
- enhancement: further garbage collector speedups affecting
pinned objects on conservative backends, and simple-vectors.
- enhancement: on Linux a custom handler for SIGSEGV can be called
for page faults outside of dynamic space by changing the C symbol
- bug fix: sb-cover does not lose source positions for AND/OR/COND.
- bug fix: random disassembler failures. (#1527931)
- The bundled sb-md5 contrib has been updated to release 2.0.4
which is licensed under Creative Commons CC0 per author's statement
(Refer to NEWS and COPYING in the contrib/sb-md5 subdirectory)